Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
DomainKing SignUp Cheetah News Blog Jcink Resource Chatinent 

HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING YOURSELF? Click here so we may register you manually.
  Add Reply
CREATE A NEW TOPIC
Start a Poll

Five (5) oral mistakes made in the use of English language in Nigeria.
Richie (male)
 Posted on: Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 9:00 am

Group Icon
|
Administrator and Founder
Group: Admin ®

Mood:

We are back again, every then and now, I strive to sift out nuggets and leakage of this foreign language in Nigeria and proffer simplified corrections to assist both the young and the man of grey strands of hair. Here are my list of some sentences Nigerians misuse:
1. What is strong with you. Strong as in, erect? http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif It actually is 'what is wrong with you.'
(you may also read twenty expressions used by Nigerians; corrections, tips and reasons or twenty-eight collocation mistakes made by Nigerians), all from Chatinent.
2. Yesterday and Tomorrow. Chineke nna'm! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif What is this? Majority do not know how to use the 'yesterday' or 'tomorrow' adverbs. You'll hear things 'you didn't give me the book tomorrow.' The adverb tomorrow is used to mean a day after today while yesterday means a day before today.
3. The pronouns; He, She, Him, Her. These are third person pronouns. 'He' , 'She' , 'It' are to be used as the subject (the main point of the sentence) of the sentence, while 'him' , 'her' , and also 'it' can be used as the object(the character receiving the action of the subject) of a sentence. 'She' and 'her' are used to refer to the females, ladies, girls, and 'he' and 'him' are used for the males, boys, men, whereas, 'it' may be used for objects, or where gender is not specified or ascertained.
4. Who and whom. This has become a big threat for English speakers. To know when to use either, the response you get will tell. If the response carries a 'him' or 'her,' then you should use 'whom,' as in, ('to whom do you want this money delivered to?' 'To him.') In addition to that, when the response goes with a 'she' , 'he' , then, you have to use 'who.' ('Who is Obi?' 'He is the son of Mr Desmond'). Well, you could for a start start using this method on how to differentiate both pronouns.
5. Has and Have, Do and Does Not. Back then, I have problems in this field but I read harder. The verb 'has' usually precede the singular subject, part of the rules of concord. The 'have' verb comes after the plural subject. (eg, they have arrived, he has come, Shola and Biodun have gone home etc., the same applies to 'do' and 'does not (doesn't).' Do must have a plural and does, a singular.
Note: All singular verbs take '-s' and plural verbs do not, unlike nouns. I mean, verbs not related to 'be, am, is, are etc.' Examples of singular verbs are, does, eats, feeds, etc.
Want a free online lecture to any English question? Join Chatinent.

This post has been edited by Richie: Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 9:46 am

--------------------
#

If you need my attention to your post, do tag me: @Richie.
- best
regards.
Send Message      Send Email
^
Profolaafe (male)
 Posted on: Monday, February 12th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Group Icon
|
Group: Members

Mood:

Nice
Send Message     
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options
Add Reply
CREATE A NEW TOPIC
Start a Poll